For motorists not in the market for a new car, but who want to decrease their carbon footprint, here are some simple changes to lessen the impact of transportation on the environment:
- Slow down. Decreasing vehicle speed by 10 mph can significantly increase fuel efficiency and decrease the associated carbon dioxide output.
- Drive at a steady pace and anticipate traffic patterns. Accelerating rapidly then having to brake wastes fuel and causes brakes to wear more quickly.
- Plan your route in advance. Consolidate trips whenever possible and plan to travel during lighter traffic times.
- Remove unneeded items from the trunk and avoid using the roof rack. Added weight and air resistance causes more fuel to burn.
- If your car has an “ECO” setting, use it. It will smooth out your gas pedal inputs, optimize transmission shift points and decrease air conditioners’ impact on the engine.